Sunday, December 9, 2012

TED Talks

This was a really interesting website to learn about.  This idea of being able to "flip" lessons was entirely new to me.  After exploring the website for a little while, I started to understand the whole idea behind TED.  I found it to be such an amazing thing to be able to take a video and create a lesson out of it.  These videos are very helpful to students because it presents information in a very different way than you would normally see in the classroom.  I was intrigued by the videos, so I decided to watch Pizza Physics.  It was a very creative and interesting way to explain a complex mathematical concept and I think it can help a lot of students (It helped me to understand isometry...)  I think students would benefit from these videos because they can learn at their own pace, rewind as many times as they need, and the visuals can help to increase understanding. The videos allow the students to absorb the material before they come to class, and this will leave more time for class discussion and questions.  Some may be skeptical about this type of learning because they feel that video is teaching the students, not the teacher.  However, the video is not meant to replace the teacher, but rather present material in a different and creative way.  I think it is worth trying out because students today respond very well to learning through technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment