Sunday, September 30, 2012

Rosetta Stone

I am sure everyone knows about Rosetta Stone, but I just wanted to make some comments about it. In addition to Livemocha, I have also started using Rosetta Stone to learn Russian. It has a much different approach than Livemocha. Rosetta Stone is firmly grounded in the immersion approach to language learning. I have found it to be very fun and interactive, and I have learned a lot. However, I still think there is a place for grammar instruction, and that is where I run into some trouble with Rosetta Stone. It does review grammar, but I do not find it very effective, and often have to turn to Russian grammar books to fully understand what is going on. I would like to know how to conjugate a verb, and with this program I cannot learn this. What I do like is how they review the individual sounds of each word. The words are broken down into parts, and you slowly learn how to say each part of the word. I really like this feature, and I think it is an effective way of learning how to correctly pronounce words. What I also like about this program, is that you can work with a live person online who speaks with you in the target language. This is very useful because you get immediate feedback on your progress. You are forced to speak in the target language no matter how much you are struggling. This may seem very difficult, but I think the program is trying to simulate what it would be like if you had to leave your home country, and live somewhere else. I was also recently invited to "Russian Game Night" online at Rosetta World. I am thinking of accepting the invitation to see what it is all about. It may turn out to be something useful. I think Rosetta Stone can be very useful for students because it is very interactive and you can hear how things are pronounced. If you say something incorrectly, the program will correct you, and you will not be allowed to continue until it is said properly. Kids would find this program fun because there are a lot of pictures and they can also do activities online. The only bad thing is that it is so expensive. Most students probably would not be able to afford it. Overall, I give Rosetta Stone a good rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment