Monday, October 8, 2012
Dragon - Speech recognition software
I am really glad that I got to learn about this software last week in class. I had never heard of it before, and it is something that not only I can use, but students can also. I did not know anything about this software and decided to do some research on the internet about it. I found out that Dragon can be extremely helpful to students with language problems such as dyslexia. Students with this disability generally have problems with reading and writing. With Dragon, these students can dictate what they normally would be required to write. Since writing can be such a daunting task for individuals with dyslexia, Dragon reduces much of the anxiety that students experience when they are asked to write an essay. According to research, when dyslexic students use speech recognition software, their reading, decoding, spelling and comprehension improves significantly. Something else that I learned about Dragon was that teachers can read and respond to their students essays quickly and easily. It is really amazing, because you can read the papers, and speak your responses, which lets the teacher give his/her feedback more quickly to students. The feedback is much more comprehensive and spontaneous, allowing the teacher to give a lot more feedback than if they had written or typed it. I wonder how many schools have opted to invest in this software because it is something that both teachers and students can benefit from. I think it is definitely worth purchasing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment