Monday, October 8, 2012
University of Iowa - Phonetics Dept.
I loved this website! I wish I would have known about it when I took phonetics and linguistics. These two classes were quite difficult, and had I had something to help me understand different sounds, and how they are produced, I would have been so grateful. I would have also liked to have known about this when I was student teaching Spanish last semester. This is so useful for foreign language students, ELLs or those with speech-language disorders. It is very visually appealing and it shows you how to make a certain sound. Oftentimes, I have to show my ESL students where to place their tongue or lips to make a particular sound, and it would be very helpful if I had a diagram like this to show them. Unfortunately we have neither a SMART board nor an overhead projector in the classroom.
My one criticism is that the University of Iowa only offers English, German and Spanish on their phonetics website. Hopefully they will add more languages in the near future. Overall, I would definitely recommend this website to teachers and students alike.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment